Thursday, March 29, 2012

Back (with a vengence)

I did it. I managed to keep quiet for two months. That's not to say I haven't been running a monologue in my head. I realize now that if I don't put it in writing I'll self destruct. Mission Impossible. I'm about to choke on my own words,I'm that angry.

 It's this: (Evidently, I'm old enough to be cantankerous, and no longer a good sport.) I saw a picture,one I was surely not meant to see, of a ten year old,who happens to be related to me. Somehow, this ten year old has a Facebook page. While it is marked "private," a profile picture is there for all the world to see. One in which this pretty little girl looks like a pedophile's dream.She is in full makeup,wearing a cobalt blue, sequined costume, in a provocative pose.

 Facebook, to which I am addicted, admittedly, has some guidelines, but who is there to police them? Members should be at least thirteen years old and have a 'friend' base of mostly relatives. I have two nephews,aged thirteen and sixteen, whom I know are being policed. Their pages are funny, informative and wholesome.

 The girls frighten me. These kids,not even 'tweens' yet are getting routine manicures, go to Justin Beiber concerts,see Taylor Swift, travel on their own and, seemingly, have skipped puberty altogether. REALLY ???? It scares me, it does. Can't we keep them children, and free from harm a little bit longer? Maybe not, since everybody's doin' it. Peer pressure rules the senses.

 There is a reality show called "Dance Moms" in which little girls, clearly being exploited by their mothers, are showcased in unbelievable costumes,'flesh toned' skin tight, sequined numbers, gyrating to sexually explicit lyrics. Seems to me their moms are living vicariously through them and are reinventing the attention whores they, themselves have become. Jon Benet? Doesn't anyone remember her? I saw her father recently on a talk show and he will never be able to kiss her goodnight again and completely regrets ever condoning her competitions.

 People, get a clue. It goes so fast, so quickly, please don't rush them. Remember Brownies and lemonade stands?

 Remember too, that you don't get a do-over.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I loved lemonade stands :). And when I see one now-a-days, I usually stop if I can!