Sunday, April 17, 2011

Phases

Well, I guess this is the beginning of the end. Phase 5.
We go through life, through "passages" (apologies to Gail Sheehy, but she really nailed it, that is what happens) and I have finally arrived at the end.  Not that I'm dying of a terminal disease, but that I'm entering into the last cycle of life. We start at childhood, move onto young adult, then, young mothers,careers (not necessarily in that order) and eventually, the kids are grown and flown, you are retired, and  if you're lucky like me you become a Grandma. (which is by far, the coolest chapter)
The thing is, when you become my age, or even before, if you're astute enough, you realize that youth really is wasted on the young.Or the YOUNGER. I've come to realize that with maturity (& I use this in the loosest way imaginable,as maturity is an option,not a requirement) you discover that so many things that mattered so much, don't at all. You get new perspective and it's so freeing !
I remember stressing about my weight, my hair,my grades, my job performance & my strengths & weaknesses in all areas. Even as a young mom, my priorities were all screwed up. I was so rigid when I didn't need to be. Don't misunderstand, I was a good mom, very good, I think, but now realize that it doesn't really matter if they don't eat their peas.
In looking back at old photos & memorablia, I see that I did NOT look fat in my prom dress,that my friends really did (do) like me & that people were genuine. All that angst & for what???
I'm trying now to guide my daughter with her child, by reminding her to pick her battles. Life would've been so much easier if I had learned not to "sweat the small stuff" before now. I think she believes me, I know she's keeping it in mind & as a result I see a happier, more relaxed mom than I ever was.
That little boy is the best ever, but not to worry, I'll not wax on about his attributes, at least, not in this entry.

4 comments:

-C- said...

Very nice, I appreciate the perspective and have this outlook at 25. I can't wait to read more!

D Warner said...

Entertaining and insightful post from the brilliant author that never was but should have been, this blog will contribute to my internet addiction like putting cocaine in the hands of a junkie. . ."Can't get enuff"

Ann Lusch said...

I'm glad you are choosing to share your wisdom here! Look forward to more. Happy blogging!

Megan McElroy said...

I LIVED TO READ IT!!!! It really didn't matter that didn't eat my peas! I'm sure I must have said that to you way back then... or at least I mumbled it as I choked another forkful down.