Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Fun With Dick and Jane

There’s probably nothing I enjoy more than reading. As soon as I learned to read, I became engrossed in anything I could read. I annoyed my family by reading everything out loud, Road signs, directions on packages, names and addresses. I waited for the mailman so I could read the addressee out loud. I even got busted in the first grade for keeping my reader on the seat next to me at all times. I think I read the whole reader on the day it was distributed. I was fascinated by Dick and Jane and Spot. (Or I was fascinated by being able to read about Dick and Jane and Spot.)
 
As I got older and advanced through grade school and high school, I continued the habit. I was caught with my history book during English, my English book during math and my religion book during history. I’ve always had a voracious appetite, and the one I have for reading is the least harmful.
 
 
The funny thing is, no matter how engrossed I am in any particular book, if you ask me what I’m reading (and people do ask me that, all the time) the chances are, I won’t know. I can rattle off the storyline and the character names, but have no idea about the title or the author. In order to do that, I have to be really impressed, not always the case. Still, I plod through.
 
 
It’s like an escape for me, it’s my ‘drug of choice.’ I can get so lost in the written word, it can be detrimental. I don’t hear the phone ring, or your voice if you’re speaking to me. I’m sure my kids were neglected over time because of my habit. Reading during their practices, on the bleachers, or on road trips when my husband drove. When I was in school for nursing, I didn’t allow myself to read anything but text. All the time, anytime. But that was pure memorization. When I look back through those tomes (Harrelson's Book of Technique and Procedure) and see the highlighted places, all over the page, I’m amazed that I ever got through it. But that’s where my head was then.
 
When I was thirteen, my sister gave me “Gone with the Wind.”  When I was sixteen, my parents took it away from me. I read and reread it so often I think they were worried I’d had a break with reality !
 
 
Well, it is my drug of choice, my obsession. There are far worse things to get caught up in. I’m so grateful that my grandson seems fascinated too…he loves books, gets very excited by new ones, even the presentation, you’d think it was Christmas! He’ll sit with me and follow the words along with his finger, babbling happily, convinced he’s reading to me. Best stories I’ve ever heard.
 
 
Come along with me, Luca, the best is yet to be.
 
 
Love,



Gramma

No comments: