Thursday, August 18, 2011

Onward and Upward

 Obviously, I need to make a change. I am not recovering at all well from the death of my dog. The depression is deep and the solitude is palpable.


Crazy habits are hard to break. For example, I find myself watching tv alone in the dark. I forget to turn on the lights because for twelve years I had them on all day when I was gone. There was always a part of me that worried about getting home late, so I always left out a bowl of dry food and the lights blazing all day with the tv on for company. It gave me assurance that I could work some overtime or go out after work for a drink, if so inclined. (not often,usually, it was the OT.)



I've been single for fifteen years now. Before that, I went through serial relationships. It wasn't until I met my dog that I realized I much preferred her company to any significant others I'd had so far.



It wasn't just her company I needed, she gave me purpose and got me off my lazy ass three or four times each day for runarounds. That much of my schedule was consistent and inflexible. I know I could be walking still, without her, but that doesn't seem to be happening and that can't be good for me.


It's hard, too, not to be in a hurry to get home anymore, not to have someone so excited to see me she waits at the window. Ouch. Tough walking into a dark, empty home.



I'm sure you know where this is going. You're right. I can't go it alone, I don't want to and so, knowing it's impossible to replace Ms. Georgia, I found somebody else to keep me company and help me stay grounded.



She is the same breed, different color and only eight weeks old. Please join me in welcoming 'Maggie' into my world.




I'm up to the challenge, I'd better be, I've already claimed her as my own. Never, never, will she replace Georgie-girl, never, ever could she. But she is here, she is the cutest cure I could imagine and the best, the very best way to begin to heal is puppy breath and a facefull of kisses.




It took Charles Schultz to remind me : "Happiness is a warm puppy."



Welcome home, Maggie May McElroy



you have a tough act to follow

1 comment:

Ann Lusch said...

Maggie May is so, so adorable!