Tuesday, November 1, 2011

....Annnd..We're Off !

Halloween is over, let the games begin !


The next two months will be a blur. I'm not complaining at all about that.  In fact, I kind of relish the fact that the holidays are so much easier than they used to be, now that I'm almost matriarchal in my family. Everyone else does all the work and I just show up & play with babies. DELISH !


I never liked Halloween, even as a child and especially as a young mom. All the chaos, all the stress of designing costumes and buying candy (twice, usually, in my case, if you get my drift.) The weather, it seems, rarely cooperated. Cold, rainy, windy, awful.  Then there was the year we trudged though puddles and rain and got home only to find the pillowcase my daughter was dragging had torn and there was no candy, at all for my kids. Obviously, I sent them to get out of their wet costumes, turned out our porchlight and dumped our  candy into a bowl for them to share. To this day, I don't think they realize that.


Thanksgiving. Well, of course, I'm grateful every day for such a lush life. God knows this because I thank him everyday, several times a day. But the menu is no big deal. It used to be that turkey was only served two or three times a year. Now, with the all-american health concious diet, it's  become a staple. These days, the pumpkin pie and sweet potatoes are what make the holiday festive.


Then, the jewel in the crown of all these holidays, Christmas !


Ridiculous non stop Christmas music 24/7 on the radio, unbelieveable television commercials starting before Halloween. It sets my teeth on edge. I send  angry emails to radio stations, I boycott products, all to no avail, I'm sure, but it makes me feel better, as if I'm part of the solution.


At some point during the holiday season, I welcome the snow, but just for me. I know I'm in the minority, but I love it. It fills me with peace, and calm and a wonderful sense of well-being. But that's just me.


Then there's New Years. I like this one, too. Now that I'm older, I don't feel the need to celebrate like I did when I was younger. It always seemed like manufactured fun to me, if you didn't have a date, or big plans, you were a loser. Now I think of it as the grand finale. A nice way to tie up all the holidays and begin hibernating until the spring.


I'll never be a Scrooge, and I've never uttered "Bah, Humbug!"  I doubt I ever will. But now, I'm able to sit back and relax and be grateful for the riches God has placed in my life: family and friends and pets and love and laughter. 


"Miracles are to come~"
(ee cummings)










No comments: