Sunday, November 13, 2011

The Life of Riley; Update



Riley gives new meaning to the term "lucky dog."

She's like Barbie-the bitch has everything !

Until yesterday, she had never seen another dog up close since her litter-mates. Yesterday was probably the greatest stressor of her life so far.(she has yet to be neutered, so until next month, the bar is set pretty low, admittedly.)

Yesterday, she had her first grooming appointment. As with everything in her life so far, she went charging in full throttle. All new faces, up close and personal, all new sounds and smells. I dropped her off with the experts, not without some trepidation. I'm used to lengthy appointments and planned my day accordingly, In ninety minutes I got the call to come and pick her up. I wondered why, what could've gone wrong....but nothing had gone awry, I had a different groomer this time, one who managed time more effectively. I came back to find a full grown dog where a puppy had been. Granted, a ten pound dog is never going to look all that adult, but the change was startling, albeit beautifully done.

She seemed lost, confused,totally without confidence (and without fur, to be sure) she seemed completely indifferent to me and not in the least bit relieved that I was even there.

I had hoped to relieve some of the tension for her by issuing strong orders that my dog was not to be decorated in any way. No bows, bandanas or nail polish. It's a pet peeve of mine (pun intended)

I corralled her into her carrier, a nylon/mesh number she's used to traveling in. I tossed in a treat and spoke soothingly to her on the way home. When we arrived, she wouldn't be coaxed out. It was all I could do not to dump the carrier upside down to get her out. Finally, I reached in to pull her out and my hands landed in Godknowswhat.

I pulled out the darlin' only to rush her to the tub tuit suite. She was so upset, she had puked all the way home. I had paid $35.00 + tip only to take her home & rebathe her in an oatmeal wash.


Not for her, the ubiquitous grooming salon to which her breed is accustomed.. From now on, it's clippers and bath tub and air drying at home.

My little princess has made her personality known to me. She is a tomboy through and through, just like her owner.

I'm so proud ~










No comments: