Friday, June 24, 2011

Live and Let Live




It occurs to me that most of us will never grow up. If you think about it, most adults, at one time or another, still behave like sandbox kids. It's just the toys are different, now they're 'issues.'



It happens in traffic, in shopping centers, stores, Dr's offices and restaurants. And it all boils down to the same thing,



"I want my way  and I want it now !"




If I can't have it my way, I'll take my toys and go home. I'll cut you off in traffic, I'll flip you off.   I'll argue with you, I'll report you, I'll take my business elswhere !





And the thing of it is,we engage in it. I'm getting better at practicing patience, being understanding and less demanding. I'm working hard on collecting my thoughts and setting my priorities. I'm trying. But I have friends who are getting less and less so, like age gives us the right to be so cantankerous.



I don't understand it. Why is everyone so impatient? It's frightening. Road rage is dangerous, these drivers are as impaired by their anger as those under the influence of drugs or alcohol. They're out of control. Where are they going in such a hurry ? What could be more important than safe driving?



I've encountered sales associates who are drunk with power. Nurses who are exhausted and exasperated. Dr's who are distracted and non-commital and waitresses who want nothing more than to get off their feet and count their tips.



I wish, at certain time each day, maybe several times a day, there would be a signal, like church bells that would sound and remind all of us to just breathe. We could stop and look around, and at each other and remember, we're all in this together.



It's not about the one who get there first,it's about how we get there.




Peace and Love, Man ~





2 comments:

Ann Lusch said...

Great idea! http://www.plumvillage.org/practice.html?start=2

Ann Lusch said...

Also, there was a Catholic custom of praying the Angelus at certain times of the day and being reminded of it with church bells, something you may know more about because I was never taught this. Going back to that custom could have a similar effect, maybe! I think there are some churches that still ring bells at those times (well, maybe not 6am...)