Thursday, June 23, 2011

Life's Little Curve Balls




Sometimes, I feel like a hamster on a wheel. I work so hard to maintain the status quo. My status quo is pretty cushy, so I'm running fairly constantly . I set myself up for this and it works out pretty well. A checks and balances system.


The problem is not uncommon. The problem is just that, a problem. Or several problems, always unexpected. My most recent snafu was an emergency vet bill and it ain't over yet. My dog has a urinary tract infection, possibly secondary to kidney stones. The solution, of course, is priceless. I'll deplete my resources if need be, to save this little one, but not at the cost of her comfort. No extraordinary measures for this one, who's already got a place in heaven.


Then there's silly stuff, like license tabs or speeding tickets, or root canals, those necessary evils. It all adds up and it always hits at once, at least in my case.

I'm only mentioning this because I'm reminding myself how fortunate I am to be able to put out these fires as they come up. I'm keeping my perspective. I thank God every day for putting me exactly where I am. I have riches beyond compare, starting with family and friends and creature comforts.

I live in a lovely home, I have a car, cable and enough food. I'm healthy, I'm happy and I couldn't ask for more.


In fact, I'm not. I'm only asking to keep what I've got, the ability to maintain the staus quo. Nothing more. The time will come when I'll have to lower my standards, depending on how long God lets me live.

That is, of course, subject to change when the Publishers Clearinghouse Team shows up at my door. They've promised me I may already be a winner. I'm not all that hopeful though, Ed McMahon never showed up.

 If I ever get that lucky, I promise to share the wealth. I'll put out your fires too. But the bulk of it would go to those who need much more than a root canal. They need it much more than we do.



Where's the checks and balances in the greater picture? Damned it I  know.

No comments: