Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Another Country Heard From....

Lately, I have been chewed up & spit out by people I thought I knew. People with whom I've shared holiday dinners, a Godchild, & so called "Facebook Friends." (really, how many of them would give me a kidney?

It all had to do with the exciting news that our # 1 national enemy has been killed. It all has to do with the varying reactions with which this news was met.I was, AM distressed by all the "Dancing in the Streets."  Martha Reeves knew that dancing in the streets was celebratory, but for the sheer joy of being alive, of experiencing Motown in the summer.

This. This is a horrific display, celebrating the fact that more killing, a vengeful killing occurred. While I appreciate that OBL has been found, that the figurehead is no longer, I cannot jump for joy over even more murder. I don't understand ( &, being a retired hippie,("Peace & Love, y'all") probably never will understand why things went down the way they did. A covert mission involving Navy Seals, check. The discovery of public enemy #1, check. The fact that OBL refused to surrender, check. He resisted arrest, check. ZING - 2 bullets, head & heart, check. Wait. Why?  I'll never understand why he wasn't overpowered, tasered, captured.

I realize it would've been costly to the American people to house this man, try this man, maintain this man. But there's no price on life. In my opinion, he needed to be captured, tried and then forced to live out his life in solitary confinement.

But that's just me, I'm a catholic, I'm pro life and I'm a retired hippie.

Peace & Love, Man ~

2 comments:

Megan McElroy said...

You go, girl! Remember, Jesus said, "You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be children of your Father in heaven." (Matthew 5:43-45) That's what the Good Book says and what we're called to if we take this discipleship stuff seriously.

Molly McElroy said...

Thx,Sister,
An aquaintence who prides herself on her christianity, holds "An eye for an eye" to be literal. I pointed out that an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
She's not speaking to me.