Saturday, May 7, 2011

Bittersweet

The best relationships I've ever had have been with my dogs.The most lasting, too.

I'm so enjoying the company of my faithful companion, a shih tzu, named Georgia. I realize that is an odd choice for a name, but it suits her & had I one more girl-child, it would've been her name. I think it's sweet & feminine.

Make no mistake, in no way is Georgia feminine. She is, however, very sweet. In fact, I like her more than I do most people. Shih tzu is a breed I never dreamt I'd own. I never imagined I'd be that lady with a lap dog. And now that's exactly who I am. The minute I met her, 12 years ago, I fell in love with her, her scary looking underbite & big  brown cow eyes. That underbite would keep her from ever being a show dog, thank God. (I haven't stooped to that yet.)

 At 6 weeks, she was the size of a hamster. I brought her home in a slipper. I found her in northern Michigan & I thought she looked as out of place as I felt while living there. I came to adapt, to love the lifestyle actually, but that's another story, another blog.

I've always loved dogs so much & owned several, but always a large breed. German Shepard, Goldens, & a Collie who, while beautiful, was dumb as a box of rocks.I loved her too (that would be Lucy) but she couldn't jump up in my arms without knocking me down.

Georgia can. Georgia has been with me longer than several of my ex-husbands.  (again, another story....) She has a personality that is so comical, so endearing and is such an important part of my life. Her traits are many & varied. It's like she's inside my head ( it gets crowded in there sometimes)

With the spring, I felt the urge to rearrange the living room furniture. This interested her greatly. Except. She doesn't like any change in her routine & refused to enter the area for 2 days! She made her derision known by standing in the dining room & barking at it. Finally she succumbed & has again found her niche.

Her niche is with me, wherever I am. I realized last night as I climbed the stairs, following HER schedule for bedtime (she's so insistent!) how much I will miss her when that sad day comes. I know I'll be inconsolable. I know too, that if dogs don't go to heaven, I want to go where they go.

2 comments:

Ann Lusch said...

Such a very cute puppy-dog!

Anonymous said...

I HATE it when you make me cry