Friday, May 20, 2011

Feast or Famine, All or Nothing

Now that I'm retired, I often wonder how I ever had time to work...at other times I feel so crazed I wish I had that structure back in my life. I was committed, through working , to keeping certain hours.



Now my schedule is all over the place, BUT, it's feast or famine. I may have so much to do it's overwhelming, or, not enough to do and my days drag on, which makes me feel guilty. (Irish catholic, comes with the territory.)



If I had a regular schedule, I would have order in my life. I had it for almost thirty years and managed to keep all the balls in the air at the same time.



I need to recognize retirement for what it is, a kind of promotion. After all, watching my amazing grandson is the best job I ever had! Plus, it's part-time ! I have license to use my own judgement and am able to plan tasks according to my whims.I have more time to shop, go to the library and run errands during the week. I have respect for the employed and try to stay out of their way on the weekends. I remember getting frustrated about that, about seniors and young moms in line ahead of me, or causing traffic tie ups on weekend hours, when I was working full time.



I need to stop thinking about structure and schedules. I need to remember the words of the great Pearl Bailey and live accordingly:



I never really look for anything; what God throws my way comes.I wake up in the morning and whichever way God turns my feet, I go."

"Hello, Dolly!"

No comments: