Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder

Behold: my grandson.


My twins are 'grown and flown,' and have been for twenty years. I'm so sorry I missed those years, while they were growing up, and I did. I was there, all right, but in a fugue state, evidently.



My son was born with multiple birth defects. Thirty surgeries, six of them brain surgeries, before age nine. Much angst, beyond description, really. Suffice to say he was baptized four times, at deaths door.



His twin was unaffected, at least physically. She was affected all right, in a way that no child should ever experience. But, for my girl, it was rudimentary. She never knew anything else. I tried to make sure she knew her role, it seemed to come naturally to her. After all, they bonded in the womb, didn't they?  But in between all those clinic appointments, physical therapy,and everything else, I made sure she was able to celebrate too. Celebrate the miracle that is Gina.



I learned so much from my twins, especially when they were young. It cost them a lot for me to learn life's lessons, but learn I did, because they were excellent teachers.



We were all rewarded in the end. We have been given,and I bet if I asked him, gifts beyond compare. My son thrives and is successful. My daughter delivered to us the most amazing boy, ever.



I know all grandparents think that.But not all parents/grandparents realize the miracle that is Luca.




To watch him grow, learning two languages, seeing and appreciating his little neurons firing, synapses like fireworks, is a joy to behold. I missed that the first time around.  I was always worried about crisis,' and nurturing and so very busy orchestrating it all.


I care for this boy whenever needed, and I marvel at the wonder of him. I look at his tiny physique, his beautiful blond curls, big blue eyes and a laugh you could drown in.


And I thank God. As a family we not only survived the horrific traumas, we were rewarded, greatly, all of us.


I'll never wonder why anymore, because now I know...and I bet if you asked his uncle, even he would say it was all worth it.


DNA,  Go figure.

No comments: