Sunday, May 1, 2011

Strange, But True ...

I was in my home office, working on ( well, that doesn't matter) and I had nothing but silence surrounding me. I was engrossed in my project, typing furiously, when I heard the most beautiful, melodic whistling I've ever heard. It was pitch perfect and solitary. Clear as the night air. I stopped typing and was afraid to even move. All windows and doors were open, so I sat back to listen. The tune was familiar and complete. The song was a favorite. It was 4:15 am and someone was serenading me with " I'll Take You Home Again, Kathleen"

I stepped outside, dog at my feet, silent too & learned the source. It made me laugh and cry at the same time and wonder if I were dreaming. ( I wasn't)

It was a nightwatchman across the way, walking through a parking structure, affording him delicious acoustics. Far too old for the job ( he HAD to be, knowing that particular song) and I'm thinkin' he was a little fearful of sabatoge. For while his lyrics are of another, safer day, his circumstances were not.

I hope he comes back, I hope he remains safe and I hope to God I hear him again

1 comment:

Molly McElroy said...

* admittedly,this is from last summer - I was trying to collect my thoughts for todays entry & decided instead, to examine my old ones. I hope you enjoyed them.
MM