Monday, May 9, 2011

Onwards and Sideways

I want to read all night again, like I've done for years, but my eyes won't let me, despite having a recent eye exam & desired correction. My eyes will tear & ache, forcing me to call it a night. Except, I can't. I am plagued with, not insomnia, because I have no problem falling asleep, but with "sleep disturbance" (the clinical term)

It's disturbing, all right, it's beyond disturbing, it's downright frustrating! It's like taking a nap in the middle of the night. Then I awaken. God only knows why,nothing nagging at me, causing me to toss and turn. In fact, my dreams are rather interesting. I wish they were longer.

I guess this goes back to an earlier post, about "Passages" by Gail Sheehy. This is part of it, isn't it..? I talk to friends, complain about it and learn that they, too were awake at just the same time. We could've gone out for coffee or started a backgammom game online. But no one wants to call anyone else in the middle of the night, in case they got lucky.

(I remember when "getting lucky" had a whole nutha meaning)

So, I've reasoned that lack of sleep is responsible for lost synapses.My neurons aren't firing as fast as they once did. What tricks are needed to hang on and stay sharp? I'm great at head games, as long as they have to do with math or sentence structure.

With retirement, I've lost any structure my life had. No schedule. (No regrets, either) so my wake/sleep schedule is like that of a newborn.

I think I'll start setting my alarm clock again, just so I'll have the pleasure of slamming "snooze."

Now, that's what I call "getting lucky."

No comments: